Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hunai fireflies Assesment Reccee 29 Dec 2009

It was a clear moon lit night we went out to Bekenu for leisure. I was bringing my two sons with my in-law and a niece. The night air temperature 28.5 degree centigrade. We reach Hunai Bridge and start scanning for display trees. The big Berembang tree I identified on the day did not produce any firefly. There is one tree somewhat a little inside the road into a house do have some fireflies. The count is about 20 individuals.

Tide high, moon 13th days and No Wind. warm night.
We went into Hunai Road Junction where the 3 Berembang trees I have marked. The one previously marked 433 do have fireflies display. The estimated count is about 150 individual. I cannot sample the fireflies due to high water, and we cannot reach the tree.

Then we go to Nusah expecting the Gurah tree is having any display. We reach the tree and were disappointed there is no display in this tree. I scanned the distance trees along the River but there is no display seen. We went in to Nosa River Junction and scanning all trees all along Nusah river. There are no fireflies Display.

We went out of Nusah disappointed. We reach the Manjelin Bridge and turn left to go along Manjelin road and cross Jangalas River. A single tree to the right as we enter the junction has a display of about 20 individuals. We went in and spotted a lone firefly.

We reach a dead end, and back track to where we came in.

I thought of stopping at Sewa and Bakam River but the moon light is bright. I decide not to stop.

When we reach Bakam area we enter the Bakam small distributaries where the school is. We stop at the bridge where people cross to go to a cemetery there.. I scaned the trees along the river and there is no fireflies seen. The night is bright with moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment